I recently installed a new and improved version 1.8.4 of Mendeley Desktop. I was very pleased because a few things that had been irking me with previous versions had either been fixed or improved. I started using it on my home network and it worked 100% fine. However, this morning I flew down to Cape Town and then tried to login from behind a proxy server. The initial login screen came up but, because I had not yet changed the proxy settings, I could not login. After a bit of scratching around I found the solution: from the login dialog hit Ctrl-Shift-P, which will result in a popup proxy dialog. Fill in the correct details and login. Works like a charm. And now I have my sweet, sweet Mendeley client working again. Just thought that this might come in useful.